When I found out that Salt Lake City was home to an "alternative religious practice" known as Summum, I squealed like a school girl. I have always been fascinated by minority religions, their practices, their beliefs. I usually find them far more legitimate than the major religions of the world. These unique and sometimes odd practices typically don't advocate ramming planes into buildings or persecuting others based on sexual orientation. Neither do they have imperialistic tendencies to spread and conquer. So, like, I'm cool with that. I suppose.
I'm not sure what exactly goes on in this pyramid, but I do know that this organization is keen on modern mummification. Here's what their website says:
"The pyramid is used to create and store the Summum Nectar Publications, it is used as a classroom for students and apprentices studying the Summum Philosophy, and it is used to conduct sacred initiations."
Publications, in this case, refers to the wines they store in the pyramid. They believe that these nectars contain information that is passed on to the recipient. Groovy.
Of course this smacks a little wackadoo, but when I sit down and think about my own religious background, I see a lot of similarities in terms of ritual and practices. I could wax on and on about my Catholic school experiences, but I won't. Let's just say it was very easy to let that part of my life be in the past. I do miss the uniforms. Green plaid jumpers for the girls, cordoury for the boys. It's totally explains my present ineptitude towards fashion. Thank god for friends.
Of course this smacks a little wackadoo, but when I sit down and think about my own religious background, I see a lot of similarities in terms of ritual and practices. I could wax on and on about my Catholic school experiences, but I won't. Let's just say it was very easy to let that part of my life be in the past. I do miss the uniforms. Green plaid jumpers for the girls, cordoury for the boys. It's totally explains my present ineptitude towards fashion. Thank god for friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment